Thursday, November 26, 2009

Job News!

The last week and a half has been a time of change for us. I wasn't getting any feedback from employers in the admin world, and I was getting a growing feeling in my gut that maybe that wasn't the path for me. When I look deep down into my heart, I know that the only reason why I was pursuing that particular road was because of how much money I would make, not because that was what I really wanted to do. And yes, I know that sometimes you have to just suck it up and do it because you really need the money, but in our case, I've been doing that for the past 5 years and finally decided that it's time for a change. Andrew's looking for a "regular" job (still doing web developing stuff, which he loves), and I am pursuing my dreams.

My ultimate goal is to join the world of Out-of-School-Care. Whether I do this before we have children or after, only God knows right now. In the mean time, I get to work at one of my all-time favorite, not just places, but places that I have worked in the past...Starbucks.



I start on Tuesday and will be working at the one closest to our house. Yea!!!! Walking distance!!!! The other nice thing about this job is that I am starting as a Shift Supervisor. This means I will get to learn how to be a gentle assertive leader...something I don't know how to be...usually I just end up being mean and bossy. I'm not sure how long I'll work here, but I know for sure that it's one step in the right direction. I am also contemplating continuing my education at Bow Valley College taking their Out-of-School-Care course. I know it doesn't really make sense for me to be working at Starbucks instead of an OOSC program, but I knew that this job I could get right away, and when you're on EI, you can make a little bit extra before they start docking you pay. So we'll see how much longer EI lasts. Another option I have been contemplating is starting an on the side dog walking business. My thoughts seem all over the place as to exactly what the future holds for me, but I am confident that God will show me in His time. I just need to keep searching out His will instead of my own and all will make sense in the world...eventually. :)

On the flip side to all this, one feeling that seems to be haunting me lately is shame. It's really hard to go from being in a respected, well paid position, to working somewhere like Starbucks. Part of me fears that people will think I'm a sell out, or when I tell them this is where I work, they'll think less of me. I know these are all lies, and that my true friends will just be happy that I am happy, but still. I'm in Calgary...the corporate city. I guess this is one of those times that I need to get my self-worth from God and realize that no matter what anyone else thinks of me, He finds worth in me, and that's all that matters. Besides, I'll be getting the discounts. :)

Love Y'all!
Christa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey, That was really neat that you are going back to work at one your favorite places. Yes, the Lord will bring you through this just like He has in the past. I love you and Pray that this will be a great start to a new beginning.
Mommy :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog is very introspective. Don't forget that you are a child of God always... not just when things are going well according to your measures of success. I may be biased but I think school (self-improvement)is a lifetime occupation. You are going to be learning where ever you are. Just remember WHOM you are working for. Love you. ;-)

Colin Toffelmire said...

I think it's awesome that you're working at Starbucks and that you want to do the before/after school programming more in depth. I think that Starbucks is one of those places where you can work at at any age and still have loads of dignity cause it's cool. I have loads of respect for you. I'm proud of you for doing what you want to do and hope that you do an awesome job once you start up school stuff again if you decide to go that route. You're great.

love Jinny (under the title of Colin I guess...)